The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

That was easy!

We harvested our first basil of the season. Only about 2 weeks after transplanting and we harvested about .61 pounds from 12 plants. We also harvested about .5 pounds of jalapeno peppers from about the same number of plants. We sold a nice box of veggies to the Corner Store this week which contained the basil, peppers, oranges, and cucumbers. Our tomatoes have started to ripen but are pierced by green stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs. They are also ruining our beans, peaches and some of our peppers. At least we know who our enemies are! Next year when the stakes are higher we will be prepared for the battle. This year we are just letting our bad neighbors over to identify them. Next year we eliminate them! Enjoy your meals now my nemesis. Whaaa ha ha ha ha!
Our eggplants are growing nicely and I cannot believe that the tomatoes are getting as big as they are. The bell peppers are about the size of my inner palm and I am waiting to see if they get a little bigger before changing colors. The tropical pumpkins are getting bigger and the peaches I think are only a few weeks away. I am now off to a web search on how to control green stink bugs ans leaf-footed bugs organically.

1 comment:

@JeanAnnVK said...

Congrats on your harvests! The onions look wonderful...I just added a post about a new business model...you should check it out. Maybe it is something you could use...we could talk more about collaboration...some technical assistance? Let's check in next week...

I will definitely play tag when I return from my holiday...we are off for the weekend...I need a break!