The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Still growing

Things are going alright with the trial gardens. I had to rip out the squash and the melons have all but died. It is the same thing year after year with melons. They look great, put out fruit, and then die right before the fruit become harvestable. Oh well. I won't try to grow them for a while. The peppers, eggplants, beans, corn, and tropical pumpkin are growing fine. I sprayed a concoction of Bt, spinosad, and oil to control a multitude of pests that are attacking just about everything in the garden. I would like to keep harvesting cucumbers but they now have mites so I think that will end them soon. I got great harvests off them. I picked about 2 pounds per plant.


I am just about to plant some herbs to see how they will do. Basil, oregano, peppermint, cilantro, and Italian parsley. That should be planted this week.


I have harvested most of the seeds that I wanted and will turn in the winter trial. I am growing a zucchini squash for the seeds and that thing just keeps getting bigger. I am surprised that it has gotten this large.

Seed stock zucchini 24" x 5"

In the front of this picture is a purple nutsedge flower. This is one of the world's worst weeds in terms of economic crop damages and loss. It is spread via seeds and under ground tubers. I spent about 4 years working with this weed in some capacity at the University of Florida in various weed science labs. I despise this weed for all the drudgery incured at school but admire its tenacity and vigor.

2 comments:

@JeanAnnVK said...

Hi there...I recently purchased spinosad and would love to know more about it. Have you used it for a while?

I had a hard time growing melons in my backyard in Oklahoma when I lived there. It was fenced in, so not much wind and a lot of heat and humidity...had some of the same problems. Grew it in the front yard where the wind got to it and had some great honeydew...

Steed Farms said...

Hey Jean ann,
I like spinosad a lot. We use the non-OMRI version on ornamental plants and it is very effective on the labeled pests.
Downy and powdery mildew get me each year. It would stand to reason that the more air blowing in the less likely you will have standing humidity which these fungi need to take hold. I think that I need to be more agressive in fungi control like using peroxide or something else. I used copper and it worked for a little while then the plants went downhill. I am thinking about making some compost teas to spray as well.