The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Onions are ready

We are picking our fall seeded onion.

I started to pick onions this week. I am very happy with how they turned out. They look like commercially available onions. I don't know why I get so excited by the fact that I can grow produce. I do have a Bachelors and a Masters of Science in Horticulture. You think that I should just expect that the plants would grow the way I want them. I still am amazed that some plants produce the way they are supposed to. Maybe that reveals that I am relying on more luck than knowledge. I really believe that I could grow fantastic crops with no problem conventionally but it sickens me to think of eating my own produce with loads of chemicals on it. If I was in the position of putting my family in jeopardy by starving to death by not having a crop or eating pesticide residue, we would all be eating chemical laden produce. But since I have a choice on how I grow my plants I chose to grow organically.

I planted basil and cilantro this week in the trial plots and worked some Sustane fertilizer in the beds. I pulled the squash, zucchini, and melons out do to poor performance. I top dressed the eggplants, tomatoes, and the peppers again with Sustane. I feel like they are just not gaining size like they should be doing at this time of the year. Next week I hope to plant some mint and oregano.

No comments: