The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Best Mustard Greens; Ever!

Mustard greens usually rank about third when it comes to my palate preference.  I usually place turnip first, collard and kale second, and mustards third.  I separate cabbage, Chinese cabbage, and bok choi out as a different class altogether. But I digress.  I found a recipe that elevated mustard greens to the top of the list.  Since I was unexpectedly surprised by the Thai fish soup recipe, I decided to try mustard greens Asian style.  Home run!  Jennifer didn't care for them as she doesn't even eat mustard greens (unless forced!), but Nate liked them.  Anna thought they were still too bitter.  I really liked them.  If you would like to try them, this is the link to the recipe.   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218501/asian-inspired-mustard-greens/  I didn't have sesame seeds, sesame oil, or sake, so I substituted or omitted but it still came out great.  Give it a try and let us know what you think.

By the way,  if your greens are looking limp and you want them to revive, just cut off the very end about a 1/4 inch and stick them in water.  Here is an unbelievable picture of before and after of turnips when treated in this manner.
Before
After!


No comments: