The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Week 10, 2015-16 Season

It is interesting how I always think about the weather whenever I am starting to post a blog.  These past few weeks have been nice and cool with one day of about 36 degrees which frosted our eggplants and roselle.  I didn't worry too much about the cold at the time, but we did get some shoot damage from the weather.  We planted lettuce, parsley dill, and bok choi, to the field.  I sowed lettuce, tomato, mizuna, and cabbage in trays to get them started. The potatoes are just starting to break the surface of the ground.

I put in a electric fence to deter the raccoons that were eating all our strawberries.  I now know that it isn't working yet as all the red strawberries have vanished from the field with nothing but stems left over.  I'm not sure if he is going under or over the two wires that I put up but I made a few changes and will see if that keeps it out.  I would love to be able to harvest some strawberries for everyone at some point in the near future.  I am also hoping that maybe this will deter them from getting into our melon crop later on.

As an aside, Jenn and I visited my brother, his wife, and his two daughters in NYC last week for three days.  And speaking of the weather it was a very windy 25-35 degrees while we were there.  It was nice seeing my nieces for the first time.  One interesting thing that I kept thinking about while visiting was that there were so many people in the city.  About 8 million people are working in NYC in a given day and all those people are eating and producing waste and somehow all that food moves in and gets distributed and all the waste gets taken out somewhere.  And still amazingly somehow it all works.  I find these logistics staggering to comprehend.  
New electric fence

Raccoon tracks and damage to plastic

No comments: