The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Friday, April 10, 2015

Transition Time

This time of year is always a bit tricky.  I thought that maybe it was just me that struggled to get a change of fresh new produce to the pick up table on Saturday this time of the season, but it seems I am not the only one.  I got  a call from another farmer who was wondering what we had for sale and was looking to purchase items for his customers.  I told him that I was late on winter crops and too early for the warm season crops.  He told me he was in the same boat.  In fact, he had called a few other growers who repeated the same sentiments.  Nobody had anything new yet.  It seems that from my conversation with him, we are all "caught with our plants down" at this time of year.  I mentioned this in my last post when we don't have a moderate spring to taper off the winter and slowly start the summer.  Throw in the use of organic fertilizer and the crops are slower still to reach maturity.  I am just happy I am not the only one looking at the field and scratching my head.
It won't be long before the potatoes are ready and they are looking great this year.  Beets are new and are ready this week.  Green beans won't be too long and then leeks are sizing up.  Just a little bit more waiting to go.

No comments: