The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas 2010

Things are still going well but slower than normal at the farm. We still have green tomatoes but they are ripening up with some stem end cracks. The cracks usually occur from the uneven growth of temperature or soil moisture. Most likely it is the variation of temperatures from the 20's to the 70's in a few days. The zucchini are finished which is unfortunate as these seemed to be the best performing zukes we have grown. They were from one zuke that I saved last year. I forget to save a few seeds just in case we have a loss of all the plants and cannot harvest the fruit again. We will have to start back from a purchased variety and save the seeds again.
We planted the lettuce in our lettuce plot and I hope that we have a harvest like we did last year.
I started to plant more seeds out directly in the field to eliminate the soil aphids that have been appearing in the transplants and affecting the performance of the plants. I haven't thought much about not using transplants as there are benefits like you can control the growing environment better in the house until they are ready to go in the field. You also can get a jump on the weeds as the plants are about 4 weeks old when they go to the field. But there would be a reduced cost with labor and materials with direct seeding. There would also be less of a transplant shock. We will see how this experiment goes.

3 comments:

Denny Krahe said...

I'm pretty sure we still have half a zuke in the fridge from the last pickup. If you want me to pull the seeds I'd be glad to, or my wife can bring it to you Saturday so you can get them.

Just thought I'd offer it. Let me know when yall get a chance.

Steed Farms said...

Thanks Denny. If possible bring the seeds. I think that they won't be viable because the zukes were picked early to eat but not physiologically mature. When the zukes are mature they become woody on the outside and stringy on the inside and can last for months without rotting and are as large as a football. But we can check the seeds out to see if we can use them. Thanks again for your offer.

Denny said...

Nevermind. Got home last night and supper was on the table, cooked zuke included. Oh well!