The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

New Plot

I have finally cleared our next growing area for our organic vegetables. It was pretty difficult pushing up trees with my Massey Ferguson frontloader tractor. It is a great work tractor and is only two years old. There were two models that I was considering at the time of purchase. One had an automatic type of transmission and the other was a standard. The standard is the one I went with mainly because the loader was able to lift a ton. The other one could only lift ¾ tons. I probably should have bought the shuttle drive, which has a pedal on the floor that works as an accelerator and gear changer in one. It would have been much easier ramming trees without constantly changing gears. If tractor abuse was a crime, I would be extremely guilty. No Trial necessary. I wouldn’t even try to plead my way out. My tractor is not made for doing this kind of work but my options are limited. I am hoping next year to be able to borrow real machinery to push up the trees. I spent the last few evenings picking up roots and branches in the new plot before I bring in the disc to even out the field and plow in the weeds that have been growing there. I think that I will disc it again after about a week to allow the weed seeds to germinate. Then I hope to plant a legume covercrop to add some organic matter to the soil and raise the nitrogen levels.
The trial plot has about run its course. Only eggplant, basil, tropical pumpkins, and red onions are left. I cut the basil back hard last week and it is growing back. Some of the older plants have died, but the majority is growing back nicely. I wasn't sure if it would survive. The corn was not so great due to over crowding, and the beans were sub par due to insect damage. The tropical pumpkins are ripening nicely and are looking great. I believe that we will harvest about 50 to 70 lbs of pumpkins from only 3 plants.
The pumpkins are teaching me something about growing in Florida. We get the majority of our rain in the summer months from June until August. We grow most of our crops in the spring and fall. These crops don’t seem adapted to the heat, humidity, insect, disease pressures we face in the months with the highest rainfall. Logically, the summer should be the time when I could water the least and it would be the best time to grow an environmentally friendly crop. I will start looking for some crops that grow extremely well in the tropics; crops that tolerate insects, diseases, heavy rains, and high humidity. If you could suggest some I would be very interested to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steed Farm Blog - We have been following your bloggin' and gardening efforts with much interest and support. So much so that we've started our own organic garden plots here at our home Northern New Jersey.

We have a 10' x 10' plot with banana peppers, jalapenos, potatoes, sun flowers, tomatoes, and mixed salad greens. We also have a 16' x 8' plot with watermelons, summer squash, green onions, cantaloupe, pumpkins and radishes. In free standing pots we have strawberries, raspberries, cilantro and rhubarb.

My question is this... While our potatoes have taken off and have grown into 2' blossoming bushes we have been witnessing extremely slow growth and are hoping to see some NASA-like launch of our veggy growth in the very near future.

To that end, can you give us an organic homemade plant food recipe that would give the remaining plants everything that they need to become productive members of my garden?

I want something that would transform these pathetic sprouts into Jack's magic beanstalk but not so potent that they turn into Audrey Jr. from the "Little Shop of Horrors" and force me to feed them blood everyday. I want the recipe to be the equivalent of the lightning bolt that gives them the 1.21 Jiggawatts of power they need to get to that internal flux capcitor working like it should be.

Without this recipe, I'm afraid they won't finish growing before my patience runs out and I'm forced to plow them under and plant something else in their place.

Steed Farms said...

K and H,
Thanks for following the blog. I'm glad my efforts to bring the world healthy organic food and documenting the process is inspiring you to think about your food supply and your own impact on your environment and health on many levels.

As to your fertilizer question, I would recommend that as a novice that you would go and buy some organic fertilizer from your local garden supply store. Organic growing is more about creating the soil environment that is conducive to excellent plant growth. Since your plots are in you really need nutrients now if the ground hasn't been prepared with enough nutrients. I would amend your soils with much organic wastes from your own composts and leaf litter or a cover crop or green manure such as clover. If you want quick growth you can dilute the fertilizer in water and water your plants with it. You might try a fish fertilizer that is already in the liquid form. I have had good sucess with those. Remember that organic fertilizers work more slowly that conventional ones so expect a slower paced maturation of your plants. Best of luck in your garden and take pictures to send.

Tampa Tomato said...

Okra and southern peas grow well in our area during the summer.