The Organic CSA Vegetable Field

The Organic CSA Vegetable Field
A picture of Plant City's (eastern Hillsborough County) first organic CSA farm

Monday, January 21, 2008

Bunny Buffet


This last week the Economist magazine confirmed our observations at the market last week. I just read that people will pay more for the same products because they view the purchase as getting a better quality or a preceived benefit. They view a lower price as being an inferior product. We will increase prices accordingly. Why turn away customers by being too cheap? This week I have decided to add vegetable and herb transplants to our line of produce. I am also considering cut flowers to sell at the market next fall for our value-added products. It has been hard to locate organic inputs to grow a fully organic transplant. The normal horticultural supply chain raises their collective eyebrows when you mention a need for the inputs to be certified organic. I hope to start planting tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, maybe some cole crops and herbs this week for our transplant line.
I have liquid fed the garden with my fertilizer mix. I have planted radishes, bunching onion, and Swiss chard. To see how well they do as well as get a fast crop of radishes to sell at the market to broaden our mix quickly. I have pruned the deciduous trees (e.g. peach, nectarines, and plums). These are low chill varieties bred for our location and climate. I harvested a few of the largest carrots from the plots this week. I have never grown carrots to harvest before, that I can remember. It was really exciting to pull them from the ground and see what has been going on down there since we planted them. It is very satisfying to know that I was able to grow marketable carrots. (I know they are not very straight, but probably still marketable.) I guess part of the excitement was not knowing how they were doing until I pulled them up from the ground. I harvested them mainly because the curiosity was killing me and to thin out clumps that were clustered too close together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the Economist paired with micro-farm market pricing decisions...that's great! I haven't read the Economist in a while, I always found it really informative and also funny...the newsmagazine of CEOs and kings! :) I'm looking forward to reading through your blog, you're doing stuff pretty similar to what I'm up to!!

Steed Farms said...

Mike,I'm glad you approve. Your TFB is really an inspiration to me. I just discovered your blog not too long ago and wanted to pattern mine after yours. I hope you don't mind me copying your format. Copying is the best form of flattery.